2.03.2010

Brussels sprouts are GOOD

I am obsessed with these little guys. I only recently tried them for the first time, and I cant stop thinking of new ways to cook them. Last night I prepared them my favorite way so far.

Ingredients: brussels sprouts, butter, salt, lemon, apple cider vinegar, onions, garlic, parmesean cheese.

First I trimmed the stumpy parts of each sprout so all the bad leaves fell off, and that way you dont have to peel them one leaf at a time, awesome!
Then I boiled the sprouts in salted water for about 5 minutes. While they were boiling I heated up EVOO and butter in a pan and added onions sliced thin and some chopped garlic and let it get tender and fragrant. I strained the sprouts and added them to the butter onion mixture, added the juice of half a lemon, and a capful of apple cider vinegar. I read that it is good to salt the heck out of this- so I did so, and recommend it. I am not a huge salt person, but too much was just enough on these.
I covered the pan and let the sprouts cook for about 15 minutes. I then pulled of the cover, added a few handfuls of grated parmesean and put the cover back on.

They were SO GOOD! The lemon and vinegar worked really well together, the broke down some of the firmer parts in the veggie and added a really good tangy flavor that was complimented by the salt and cheese.

I have made these with bacon, pancetta, and prescuitto and the way I prepared them last night proved to be a lot better. I think the fat in the butter was just enough, the fat from pork was a little too much for a vegg. Next im going to try breading them.

YUM YUM! till next time...

2 comments:

  1. Well, well, well....not only do you continue to surprise me day in and day out with all your endeavors.... but little girl, everything you touch is magic!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE brussel sprouts and can't wait to try this...I'll let you know!!!!!
    Nancy F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brussel Sprouts too! I really like your idea of the lemon and vinegar. Great job Allie!

    ReplyDelete